Giller Prize Longlist Announcement

I have been waiting for this day for a few months now!  The long list for the Scotiabank Giller Prize was announced this morning.  The Giller Prize is Canada's most prestigious literary prize and is awarded to the best Canadian novel or short story collection published in English.  It's also a bit of a kick off for the literary award season in Canada.  Past winners include Alice Munro, M.G. Vassanji, Michael Ondaatje, Mordecai Richler, and Margaret Atwood.

The past few years I've tried to read through the entire long list, but never made it through (though I do get through the shortlist.)  This year I've got a bit of a jump as I've already read a few of them.  Here is the list:

Y - Marjorie Celona
Our Daily Bread - Lauren Davis
My Life Among the Apes - Cary Fagan
419 - Will Ferguson
Dr. Brinkley's Tower - Robert Hough
One Good Hustle - Billie Livingston
The Sweet Girl - Annabel Lyon
Inside - Alix Ohlin
Everybody Has Everything - Katrina Onstad
The Emperor of Paris - CS Richardson
The Imposter Bride - Nancy Richler
Ru - Kim Thuy
Whirl Away - Russell Wangersky

Have you read any of these titles?  Will you be reading any of them?

Comments

  1. oh! I didn't know that Y was by a Canadian writer. I read the US edition a few months ago and liked it bu didn't love it. It's the story of a girl who is shuttled around the foster care system. I don't think I know the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Y a little while ago and wanted it to read it. Will definitely do it now.

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! I don't think I've heard of any of these authors or books but I'm always looking to discover great new works. And I constantly fantasize about reading through various prize's long lists but never make it. I'll definitely look through this list though and I'm sure I can find at least one book that sounds intriguing.

    Which ones have you read and can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are quite a few there that are new to me! I have read 419, Everybody Has Everything, and Ru. If you click on the titles, it will take you to my review. I think Everybody Has Everything is my favourite of the three, 419 is a pretty cool idea, and Ru is a very different book (but in a good way.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop