"Paris Times Eight" by Deirdre Kelly

Paris Times Eight is the story of Toronto writer Deirdre Kelly's love affair with the city of Paris and the important role her travels to the city played in her life. She began travelling to Paris as a young woman working as an au pair and eventually travelled there seven more times in many different roles - writer, daughter, fiancee, and mother among many others.


This was an interesting book. Women will be able to relate to the growth we all go through as we fall into our true selves, and the role that outside forces play on our development. Travellers will be able to relate the love you can have for a foreign place and how our travels often lead to self-discovery.


If you have been to Paris you will love the tours of the city that Deirdre Kelly takes you on. This is not a tourists guide of Paris, rather she explores the history and landscape through the eyes of a foreigner in love with all the city has to offer. However, if you haven't been to Paris, you may find yourself lost in her city. While Kelly's writing is beautiful in its descriptiveness, for me at times I felt like I was in a "you had to be there" story.


I would recommend this book to anyone who has had (or is in) a love affair with Paris or who enjoys travel memoirs.

Comments

  1. I think I will like this book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome BookQuoter. I think anyone who knows Paris will enjoy the book, I know that I enjoy this type of books about places I have visited. Having not visited Paris, I did miss out a bunch with this book though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, visiting you via the hop and am a follower... This book sounds great. Adding it to my TBR list.

    My blog: http://www.primoreads.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a few months back and loved it. I've only been to Paris once but after reading this I so want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suzanne, I was interested in hearing from someone who has read the book and been there, to make sure that I was right in saying people who have been there would really like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am adding this to my TBR list right now. It sounds wonderful. I love books that are like chatty travelogues. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop