Happy Canada Day!



Today is Canada Day and I thought I would share my favourite Canadian books. Now, I'm a very proud Canadian (I even have a red maple leaf tattoo) and I love all things Canadian, but I will admit that when it comes to reading I have not read much of our literature. I decided to change that this year and have challenged myself to read at least 20 Canadian books this year, and so far I have read 11. I'm glad I've done this. Even though we all came from somewhere else at some point, Canadians make up a unique identity that is evident through our literature and from that identity we get some incredible stories.

My three favourite Canadian books are:

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill (the title of this book in the US is Someone Knows My Name)
In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Some other great books:

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
More by Austin Clarke
How to be Canadian by Will Ferguson
A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Of course there are many more fabulous Canadian books out there, but these are the ones I have read and can recommend. Hopefully by next Canada Day that will be a much longer list.

What are your favourite Canadian books?

Comments

  1. I love the Anne of Green Gables series! Happy Canada Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ashamed to say I have only read three titles on that list.

    Happy Canada Day, a country I really would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Robertson Davies' "Fifth Business" and Jane Urquhart's "The Stone Carvers".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canada Day Shannon!

    Hey - did you do your signature from my tutorial? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved "Ragged Islands" by Don Hannah and "Ivor Johnson's Neighbours" by Bruce Graham. They were both a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your favourite books everyone, now I have more to add to my to read list!

    Tammy - I did learn from your tutorial, I was always wondering how people got those signatures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy (belated) Canada Day! I definitely agree with Anne of Green Gables. Such an amazing series. I unfortunately haven't read much Canadian literature, so I'll have to check out some of your recommendations! I hear there are a lot of great Canadian mystery authors, too.

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Canada Shan! Margaret Atwood's my favourite Canadian author - I adore the Blind Assassin and the Robber Bride. Hope you have a great weekend.
    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the Atwood and Hill books, but really don't like Ondaatje. Your runners up list is quite good, too, but I haven't read the Clarke book. My favourite Canadian books include Wayne Johnston's Colony of Unrequited Dreams, Mordecai Richler's Barney's Version, Jeff Lemire's Essex County, and Allistair Macleod's No Great Mischief.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop