In My Mailbox #10

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren designed to showcase which books we got in the past week.

This week I got only one book from the library. It feels weird! But considering I still have a few checked out that I need to read, plus the website says three are currently in transit, only one this week is a good thing!

Here is what I got:

Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith (2010)
From the author of the global bestseller The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency comes a brand-new novel -- the start of a new series -- set in the heart of London. "Corduroy Mansions" is the affectionate nickname given to a genteelly crumbling mansion block in London's vibrant Pimlico. This is the home patch of -- among others -- a lovelorn literary agent, possibly the first ever nasty Liberal Democrat MP and Freddie de la Hay, an urbane terrier trained to be vegetarian and respectful of feline rights, and with the ability to fasten his own seatbelt.
A whole new cast of incredible characters including, but not limited to: Berthea Snark, psychoanalyst and unwilling mother to Oedipus Snark (the nasty Lib Dem). William French, wine merchant living in Corduroy Mansions, and lover of wines of the Bordeaux region. Marcia Light, proprietrix of Marcia's Table with her sights set on William. Barbara Ragg, lover of Oedipus Snark -- would like to marry him; would like to marry anybody. Loafers, wine merchants, vitamin evangelists and the occasional psychoanalyst pass each other on the stairs of this delightful metropolitan residence.




What's in your mailbox?

Comments

  1. I've only ever read one or two books by Alexander McCall Smith - Portuguese Irregular Verbs and one of his series ones. I couldn't really get into them. But this one actually sounds quite good. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this series sounds good! I shall seek it out!

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read--I am going to check it out on Goodreads. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, but haven't read anything else by him. I'm hoping this one is good, and if it is I'm sure I'll seek out more by him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked this book up the other day; bit I wasn't inspired to buy it.  But after reading your review, it might hold my interest. I did find 3 others by him—the first 3 in a series—that I think I'll like.  I want to give him another chance after being so hard on him about #1LDA.  He must be doing something right.  I'll watch for your review.  Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop