"What's For Dinner" by Curtis Stone


Life is busy and sometimes it's hard to decide what to make for dinner.  Many people don't have much time after coming home from work or between shuttling kids to and from activities.  We all want delicious, fresh, easy-to-make meals and that is the aim of Curtis Stone's newest cookbook What's For Dinner? Delicious Recipes For a Busy Life.

This book is organized into seven sections: Motivating Mondays, Time-Saving Tuesdays, One-Pot Wednesdays, Thrifty Thursdays, Five-Ingredient Fridays, Dinner Party Saturdays, and Family Supper Sundays.  Each section comes with beautiful colour photos of each dish as well as explanations and tips for easy cooking.  This book has something for everyone.  There are dishes from many different cultures, a wide variety of ingredients, and something for both meat-eaters and vegetarians.  

My first read-through of the book had me wondering if these recipes are really as simple as they are supposed to be.  As someone who isn't a fantastic cook, there were a lot of recipes that I would probably pass over just from looking at the ingredient list and cooking instructions.  Anyone more experienced than me in the kitchen (and let's be honest, that's probably all of you) will probably find these to be great, easy recipes.  

The recipes I did pick out as at my level turned out wonderful.  I tried the Tomato-Salami pizza, though I changed it to suit my eating preferences by using Turkey Kielbasa instead of Salami.  This still ended up being fantastic and I loved the idea of using olive oil and garlic instead of tomato sauce.  I also tried the Whole Roasted Chicken with Tomato-Basil Butter, using chicken legs instead of a whole chicken.  This was great, and got a thumbs up from my hard to please (or possibly scared of my cooking) husband.  And the Olive Oil Cake with Rhubarb-Strawberry Compote? Yum.   That's all that needs to be said about that one.

Last, but not least, there are some fun photos of Curtis and his beautiful family.  This is a great cookbook with food the whole family will enjoy, that suits a variety of cooks, and will definitely help you keep time in the kitchen down. 

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Random House of Canada.  The opinions expressed above are purely my own.

Comments

  1. The Juggler's Children and the Sailmaker's Daughter are new to me and caught my eye! Hope you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm... sounds yum. I am going to check this book out from the library!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop