Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

It's that time again, it's Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon!  This event was started in 2007 with 37 people participating.  After Dewey passed away in November of 2008, it was taken on by other book bloggers in her memory and it now has over 400 participants!  The idea? Simple, read as much as you can for 24 hours while connecting with other book bloggers and readers around the world.

End of Event Questionnaire
1.  Which hour was the most daunting for you?
Umm...hours 5-24?

2.  Could you list a few high-interest books that could keep a reader engaged for next year?
I started reading The Best Place on Earth by Ayelet Tsabari which is a collection of short stories set in Israel.  Very good and I really like short stories for a readathon.

3.  Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the readathon next year?
Nope.

4.  What do you think worked really well in this years readathon?
I loved the Twitter involvement on everyone's part!

5.  How many books did you read?
1 fully read book.  A few short stories.  Another book started.

6.  What were the names of the books you read?
In Calamity's Wake by Natalee Caple, The Best Place on Earth by Ayelet Tsabari, Struggles of a Dreamer by Yahaya Baruwa.

7.  Which book did you enjoy most?
In Calamity's Wake is a really good book about the story of Calamity Jane.

8.  Which did you enjoy the least?
I didn't get far enough into the other ones to dislike them.

9.  N/A for me.

10.  How likely are you to participate in next year's readathon?  What role would you like to play?
Highly likely.  After this ones fiasco of not getting much done, I'm coming back to the next one with a vengeance!

Update #3
Note to self: Next readathon, when husband says "let's go out for a bit," say no.  Visiting the inlaws lead to the kids staying over at their cousins house which led to us catching up on Walking Dead Season 3.  Which of course, led to very little reading.  I have managed to read a few short stories and start a new novel, but nothing much.  It's off to bed soon, so hopefully a little more reading before I end my readathon for good.  Because when the kids aren't home, I sleep in!

Total Pages Read: 352
Total Books Read: 1
(Still more than I would read on a Saturday so I guess it hasn't been a complete bust for me.)

Update #2
It's 6pm EST and this day is definitely not going how I had thought it would.  An impromptu visit to the inlaws has turned into running a whole bunch of errands for quite a few people.  That's ok though, there's still a lot of time to go!

Total Pages Read: 313
Total Books Read: 1
Recently Finished: In Calamity's Wake by Natalee Caple

Update #1
Four hours in I'm not where I had hoped to be but that's okay.  I had planned to get in a solid 1.5 hours reading at the library while my daughter was at her art class but we got there and it was cancelled.  So my reading has been scattered all over the place, but now that the kids have been given their lunch, I should be able to get down to some serious reading.

Total Pages Read: 193
Total Books Read: 0

Introductory Questionnaire
1.  What fine part of the world are you reading in today?
I am in beautiful Toronto, Canada.  The sun is shining bright today and the temperature is getting up to 19C today.  It's been a painful spring so this is very welcome!

2.  Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
I picked a bunch of Canadian books and I'm really looking forward to that however I'm really looking forward to Fahrenheit 451.

3.  What snack are you most looking forward to?
We often order in on Friday nights but last night I cooked so tonight could be our take-away night, so I'm really looking forward to pizza and wings tonight.  I don't have any snacks actually planned.

4.  Tell us a little something about yourself.
I'm a wife and mother who loves Jesus, books, and yoga.

5.  If you participated in the last readathon, what is one thing you'll do different today?
This year I picked a couple of collections of short stories to intersperse among the novels.  I think this will give me a greater sense of achievement and keep my attention span on track.


The Plan

I have chosen five books from my to read pile that I hope to get to today.  They are:

In Calamity's Wake by Natalee Caple
Struggles of a Dreamer by Yahaya Baruwa
The Best Place on Earth by Ayelet Tsabari
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Most of my success in the last readathon came from shorter books.  So this time around I've chosen two collections of short stories (Clear Skies and The Best Place on Earth) and three other novels that are short in page length.  Four of my novels are by Canadian writers, so I'm really looking forward to that. 

The readathon starts at 8am EST, so I'll be setting my alarm early.  I'll be checking in here throughout the day for updates and mini challenges.  Hope to see you all tomorrow!

Comments

  1. You have an interesting stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an early starting time! I feel quite spoiled with the 2pm start. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your reading today! And, like you, I love Jesus, books, and yoga.

    Stop by, if you get a chance: Deb Nance at Readerbuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books! I hope you enjoy it.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My read-a-thon isn't going as planned either. Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing great, even with all the impromptu things happening - happy readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everywhere we go
    People want to know
    Who we are
    So we tell them
    We are the readers!
    The mighty, mighty readers!

    I hope you’re having a fantastic Read-a-Thon!
    Jennifer ~ Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  8. *grin* Sounds like you still managed to sneak some good quality reading in even if you couldn't quite get the quantity you hoped for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, life has to happen sometimes. I hope that you had an amazing readathon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop