Year In Review

The last day of 2012 has arrived and it's time for me to look back at the year and check in on all those challenges I signed up for a long, long time ago!  Let's see how I did!

100 Books Read Challenge
For the third year in a row, I didn't make this one!  But I came close, 91 which isn't bad at all!  In 2011 I read 88 books so an improvement.  At least I'm read more than the previous year, not less!  Something to aim for again in 2013!

Back to Classics Challenge
This is the first year I joined this challenge.  My aim was to read 9 books and I read 4.  So, not my goal!  Towards the end of this year I joined up with the Classics Club to help me read more and I will definitely be signing up for this challenge again next year.

Mixing It Up Challenge
This one covered a whole bunch of genres and I signed up to read 16 books and I did it!!!  Some new to me genres include Manga, Romance and Horror.

Speculative Fiction Challenge
This is a genre I hadn't read much of so I challenged myself to read 6 books and I got to 5 on this one.  For the first time I read Steampunk (though a short story) and a Zombie novel.  It was a very interesting challenge for me and definitely got me reading books I wouldn't otherwise.

Canadian Book Challenge
I sign up for this one each year and never have a problem with it!  It starts in July and the goal is to read 13 books.  It's halfway through the challenge and I am already at 13.  Last year I read 20, so I wonder what I'll do this year!

So 2/5 isn't that great for completed challenges.  One thing I learned this year is that I can't leave all my challenge reading until the end of the year!  I plan to give myself a bit of a schedule for next year when it comes to challenges.

2012 was a good year for reading (is there ever a bad year for reading?)  I read a lot more classics than I have since I was in school.  I've now read 15 of the 1001 Books to Read.  In addition to joining The Classics Club I also joined the Around the World in 80 Books challenge.  Both are 5 year challenges so I've got lots of time there (assuming I don't leave them all to the end!)  I also had a few opportunities to attend author events this year and meet a few of them, something I had never done before.  I now have a section on my bookshelf just for autographed copies!!!  I discovered that I really enjoy reading mysteries, a genre I didn't read much of before.  And while there were a few genres I just couldn't get into, I did give a bunch of books a chance I wouldn't have before.

So here is to 2012 and looking forward to the year 2013 in books!

Comments

  1. A very happy 2013 to you and yours! I'm going to keep my challenges to a bare minimum this year. In fact, I'm only doing ONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not managed to pull together my stats from last year yet but I feel like my head is barely above water right now. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop