"A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams


One summer, Blanche DuBois arrives at the New Orleans apartment of her sister Stella having fled her troubled life in Mississippi.  The sisters were born into an aristocratic life and Blanche is shocked to discover the rough, working class life that Stella is living with her husband Stanley.  Stella believes that Blanche has arrived due to the loss of the family home, but as time goes on, Stella and Stanley begin to wonder what is really behind her visit.

When Stanley talks to a man who knows of the intimate details of Blanche's life, he confronts her and the truth of her disgrace comes out.  Her last chance at love is destroyed and at the hands of Stanley's anger and rage, Blanche experiences a complete breakdown and Stella's only choice is to have Blanche institutionalized.

Tenneesee Williams' 1947 play A Streetcar Named Desire is a story of passion, desire, class, fragility and vulnerability.  It is dark and tragic, real and haunting.  It is so easy to be drawn into the world of these characters, to feel sympathy for them and to hurt along with them.

I feel very unqualified to give an in depth critique on a play as it's just not my background.  Especially classic plays such as this one.  I will say that I found this one very interesting as well as captivating.  The stage directions given made it so easy to imagine the world the characters inhabit.  This is a play that won't do with just one reading.  The themes and characters are rich and complex.  Even though it was written decades ago the themes of love and betrayal still just as strong and true today.  It isn't long but it packs quite the punch and I thoroughly enjoyed this classic.

Comments

  1. This is one of the things I'm ashamed to admit I've never read. I hear so many references to it that I almost feel like I HAVE read it..but nope :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot I'm ashamed to admit I've never read. There are so many things that I know/use lines from ("Stellaaaaa") and yet I've never read the work!

      Delete
  2. I watched the play, instead of reading it, and I will agree that it is dark, tragic, real and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to watching it now. I can only imagine how emotional it is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop