Black History Month: History Books

For Black History Month, I will be sharing what I consider to be required reading lists.  First up are History Books that share the stories and issues that are central to the Black Experience.  There is a wealth of books out there but for this I will be sharing only books that I have read.

Black Power: The Politics of Liberation in America by Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X with Alex Haley
The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equinao by Olaudah Equine
The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass
The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr. by Martin Luther King Jr.
Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
The Blacks in Canada: a History by Robin W. Winks
Capitalism and Slavery by Eric Williams
The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon
The Confessions of Nat Turner by Nat Turner (there is a fictional account with the same name and is based on this but I recommend reading the original version, published by a lawyer and based on jailhouse conversations.)

What books would you recommend I read to add to this list?

Comments

  1. Eek. Can you believe I've only read 2 off your list? I better get busy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop