Black History Month: Biographies

Another list for Black History Month, this one of biographies.  I decided this time to focus on more recent biographies, rather than on historical figures.  Some of these books cover the Civil Rights Era of the 1960's but were written recently.  These books also cover the stories of Black people from all over the world.  There are some about war and some about breaking barriers.

I wish this list was longer.  Because I'm including only books I am familiar with and can confidently recommend, there are a lot of good ones that will be left off.  I wish I have read more life stories.  Compiling this list has made me realize I need to fix that.

A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah
The Other Wes Moore - Wes Moore
War Child - Emmanuel Jal
The Stone Thrower - Jael Ealey Richardson
Brown Girl Dreaming - Jacqueline Woodson
Running For My Life - Lopez Lomong
While the World Watched - Carolyn Maull McKinstry
Left to Tell - Immaculee Ilibagiza
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina - Misty Copeland
Destined to Witness: Growing Up Black in Nazi Germany - Hans J. Massaquoi
The Measure of a Man - Sidney Poitier

What books would you suggest to help me make this list longer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop