Year in Review


2014 is coming to a close, another year that seems to have gone by way too fast.  What can we do but enjoy each and every day as it comes?

Trends
Last year my reading was pretty eclectic, this year feels less so.  When I look at the numbers I see that 1/3 of the books I read were Chick Lit and 1/4 of the books I read were Canadian.  The rest is pretty eclectic but this year certainly did feel pretty chick lit heavy, mostly because I read only that genre during the summer and a big chunk of Christmas chick lit in November and December.

Popular Posts
My most popular posts this year were:

Top Ten Books of 2014
Wait For It: The Legen-dary Story of How I Met Your Mother by Jesse McLean
Deathbed Dimes by Naomi Elana Zener
Prada and Prejudice by Katie Oliver
All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews
The Guestbook by Holly Martin
How to Get a (Love) Life by Rosie Blake
Never Google Heartbreak by Emma Garcia
All The Broken Things by Kathryn Kuitenbrouwer
Stats Canada: Satire on a National Scale by @stats_canada
Kicking the Sky by Anthony De Sa

Challenges
As I mentioned in my blogging resolutions post, I’m going to be doing less challenges next year.  Every year I fail at them.  This year I tried less and I didn’t have a 100% success rate. Last year I vowed not to do read-alongs and I did well with that, so hopefully my challenges resolution will stick as well.

Read 100 Books - COMPLETED (2nd year in a row)
Canadian Book Challenge - COMPLETED
Diversity on the Shelf - ALMOST COMPLETED (only 1 away)
Classics Club - SOME PROGRESS MADE
TBR Pile Challenge - NOWHERE NEAR COMPLETED

Best Books
Last week, I posted my top ten books of the year.  You can find them here.

Book of the Year

Fiction 

I had a hard time choosing a favourite fiction book because there were quite a few 5 star reads but not one that easily stood out about the rest.  But I choose this book because I enjoyed it when I read the novel, and then I recommended it to my husband and he picked up the audiobook, and the narration of Dion Graham was incredible.  So because I absolutely enjoyed this book in two different formats, it gets my choice as best fiction book of the year.

Non-Fiction

It feels like I didn’t read much non-fiction this year but this book is easy to pick as my favourite.  I grew up a Montreal Expos fan and this is a love story for Expos fans.  The entire history of the team, it is a great walk down memory lane. Perfect for any Expos fan or baseball lover.

That's all for me. How was your 2014?

Comments

  1. 2014 has NOT been a banner year for reading :( I think that whole wedding thing got in the way! ;) I'm looking forward to getting my read on in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you were quite busy this year Claire so you're excused! You look like you're getting 2015 off to a great start!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop