Book Blogger Hop

It's Friday and it's time for the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Jennifer at Crazy For Books.  It's a weekly gathering of book bloggers and has recently come back from hiatus!  Check it out and find some fabulous book blogs.

This weeks question is a good one:

How do you handle the writing of a negative review?

Unfortunately I've had to write about a few not so great books.   We all have some books that we just don't connect with.  I always try to keep my reviews balanced, with both the positives and negatives.  If I find that there are a lot more negatives, I'll explain why I personally feel that way.  I recognize that obviously there are other people out there who like the book so in this case I will read other reviews of the book and in my review point out what other people like about the book.  I would rather not publish a review of a book than write an entirely negative review.  

How about you?

Comments

  1. Me too. I always point out why something didn't work for me and make sure I include positive points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can't go wrong with balance, honest and no attack language...I also think it makes for a better review to read by others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I get turned off by attack reviews. You should be able to find something good in the book, or at least acknowledge that other people enjoy it and for what reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell the truth also but if I think that there is a segment of the population that will like it, I add that in my review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good answer! I would never want to discourage a writer. I can give them a three and focus on what I did like about the book.

    I am now your new GFC follower.

    http://itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop