Month In Review

After a strong month of reading in January, things slowed down in February. I found myself passing up on a few books that I was really looking forward to but just couldn't get in to. And I don't think that it's the books fault, I was just not in the right mood for them. What I did read though was pretty good and there were a couple of 5 star stand out books for me. Here is what I read with my GoodReads ratings:

She's Not There by Joy Fielding *****
A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold *****
13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad ****
This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp ****
Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight ****
Café Babanussa by Karen Hill ***

DNF
The Bat by Jo Nesbo
The Book of Memory by Petina Gappah
The Motorcyclist by George Elliott Clarke

Thoughts
A Mother's Reckoning was such a heartbreaking and emotional read. I was full out crying in many parts. Sue Klebold is brave for writing this book and putting herself out there and I think it's a very important book that should be read by all. She's Not There is a great ripped from the headlines mystery that I just could not put down. I was very much looking forward to Café Babanussa but I found the dialogue lacked emotion and I had trouble connecting to the book because of this. I DNF'ed The Bat and The Book of Memory because 100 pages in they just weren't grabbing me. I DNF'ed The Motorcyclist 25 pages in (very rare for me) because I could just tell that it wasn't going to be my thing.

What I'm Looking Forward to in March
Canada Reads! I still have two more books to read but I have copies in my possession so I should be ready to go when the shows air. New release-wise I'm looking forward to reading Until We Are Free: My Fight For Human Rights in Iran by Shirin Ebadi and The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix-Sweeney.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop