Hot Topic: Books on Refugees

Recently, I had a customer come into the store asking for books about the refugee experience. As I rattled off books I've read she said "wow, you're really interested in this topic." It is something I'm interested in and for me, it's not enough to learn about current events through the news, I want something more that books can give me. So I thought I would share with you the list that I shared with my customer. These are all books that document the experience of leaving one's home country for reasons that are beyond control.

Fiction

Ru - Kim Thuy
A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park
Black Mamba Boy - Nadifa Mohamed
All Our Names - Dinaw Mengistu
The Illegal - Lawrence Hill
Cities of Refuge - Michael Helm

Non-Fiction

Running For My Life - Lopez Lomong
War Child - Emmanuel Jal
Citizens of Nowhere - Debi Goodwin
City of Thorns - Ben Rawlence
Intolerable - Kamal Al-Solaylee
Outcasts United - Warren St. John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop