Year in Review

Another year comes to a close. I say it every year that it feels like the year just flew by but this year seemed to go faster than most.  Maybe it was because it was such a fantastic year in books for me!  A personal highlight from 2015 was getting a job in a bookstore, because isn't that the dream?  Now let's see how my year in reading went:

Trends

This year, I kept detailed track of the books I read so that I could see what my reading habits are like. Here are some interesting stats from that:

96 Books Read, 27384 Pages Read
Average Rating: 4

31% of the books I read were Canadian.  The next most-read genre was Chick Lit at 19%.

69% of the books were written by female authors.
38% of the books I read were diverse books.

Popular Posts

Daydreams of Angels by Heather O'Neill
All Inclusive by Farzana Doctor
The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew
Villa America by Liza Klaussman
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan
Life or Something Like It by Annie Lyons
The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza
Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
The Gallery of Lost Species by Nina Berkhout
She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not by Zeenat Mahal
Laughing All the Way to the Mosque by Zarqa Nawaz
Cover Before Striking by Priscila Uppal
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Challenges

105 Books Read - Not Completed
Diversity on the Shelf - COMPLETED
Canadian Book Challenge - COMPLETED
Classics Club - Very Little Progress Made
Around the World in 80 Books - Fair Amount of Progress Made

Best Books of the Year

FICTION


With a few months still to go in the year, I declared this book my best book of 2015.  This book blew me away.  A rich cast of characters, a sweeping plot, history, reggae music, there is so much to this book and it is incredible.  A story of an island characterized by poverty and political violence but sustained by determined and strong people.  And as the winner of the 2015 Man Booker Prize (the first winner from Jamaica) how can it not be an incredible novel?

NON FICTION
The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew

A story of a father and son, residential school survivors, reconciliation, and activism, this is an incredible book that gives to readers a comprehensive understanding of the experiences of Aboriginal people in Canada.  A journalist, media personality, academic, musician, chief, activist, sundancer, Wab Kinew does it all and this book is another incredible accomplishment.  This is required reading and I hope that it will inspire conversations across the country.  Kinew’s hopes and dreams for his people are moving and inspiring.

Comments

  1. I'm not surprised that Kinew's book was your fav non fiction. I want to read it so badly. He's such an engaging personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally gushing over the book when a customer bought it last week. We fangirled together a little bit over how incredible he is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop