Month In Review

March wasn't a busy month for me reading-wise but it was definitely busy the rest of the month. Between work, March Break, and Easter weekend there was a lot going on and any down time I had was spent sleeping or watching tv (mostly watching tv, I still feel like I didn't get enough sleep last month.) But the books that I did read were all very good. Here they are, with my GoodReads ratings:

Still Mine - Amy Stuart*****
Girl in the Dark - Marion Pauw*****
Until We Are Free - Shirin Ebadi*****
Bone and Bread - Saleema Nawaz*****
Exit, Pursued by a Bear - EK Johnston****
Becoming Lin - Tricia Dower****

Thoughts
Lately I've been getting into the mystery/crime fiction genre and I must say it is really good. Still Mine and Girl in the Dark are two very good books from that genre. Until We Are Free is an inspiring book about a woman's fight for human rights in Iran and committing to the cause to the point where she had to leave your country, never to return. And Bone and Bread  was a delightful surprise, my favourite of the Canada Reads books.

Events
At the beginning of the month I went to an event at Penguin Random House for Indigo employees. It was a spring preview of KidLit and there were great authors present, fantastic books to get excited about, and yummy pancakes made by PRH staff. You can read my post here.

And of course Canada Reads happened. Lawrence Hill's The Illegal was named as the one book all of Canada should read. You can read my recap post here.

And in non-book event news, the husband and I went to see Trevor Noah perform live and he was hilarious. I've been a fan of his for years, have seen every television appearance he has made on the British comedy circuit, and love him on The Daily Show so it was a fantastic experience.

What I'm Looking Forward to In April
I recently started reading Justin Cronin's The Passage and am reading small bits at a time and I'm loving it so I look forward to continuing it through the month. One recent releases I can't wait to read is The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix-Sweeney. And a new release this month I'm wanting to read is Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop