"Why Not Me?" by Mindy Kaling

As creator of The Mindy Project and author of the New York Times bestseller Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, Mindy Kaling has quickly become everyone’s celebrity best friend.  Her humour and easy-going nature has everyone wanting to have her in their lives.   

In her new book Why Not Me? Mindy once again proves why we all want her in our girl squad.  She opens up about her life with an attitude of “we should all be able to laugh at ourselves.”  She writes about university life, falling in love, moving to Hollywood, starting new friendships, and celebrity style.  But most importantly, she shows women that no matter who they are or where they are, they should take on life asking the question “why not me?”

I’m a Mindy fan-girl.  I never watched The Office so my first introduction to her was in The Mindy Project and I fell in love with her.  I’ve never really been one to consider a celebrity a “role model” but you can’t help but admire how hard she has worked and how much she has achieved.  All while remaining down to earth and the girl everyone wants to hang out with (despite her concerns in her first book.)

Like her previous book, this one was a sit down and read cover-to-cover book for me.  I laughed my way through the book and felt like I was sitting around a table having a few drinks with a friend.  And while she may live in Hollywood, it turns out her life is pretty much like every other woman.  She talks about the pressures of looking a certain way, making a friend but then being dumped by her, ex-boyfriends, work, and finding your place in the world.  Mindy’s writing is the ultimate self-help. This is the kind of advice I was looking for when I was in university and finding my way.  

Writing this review seems kind of funny to me.  Why on earth do I need to convince you to read a book by Mindy Kaling???  If you know her, chances are you already love her.  I guess if you don’t know her, you’re wondering why you should read this book.  Because this isn’t just a book about television.  This isn’t just a book about a celebrity.  It’s a funny and honest book about finding your place in the world.  Have you ever sat around confiding in your friends about your triumphs and struggles?  That’s what this book is.  You read Mindy’s writing and realize you’re not alone in how you feel in the world and not only that but you find yourself able to laugh at whatever it is that is being thrown at you.  Who’d have thought a celebrity could do that for you.


In a world where it seems like everyone with a little bit of fame is getting a book, Mindy’s writing stands out as one of the few deserving of its place.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Random House of Canada.  The opinions expressed above are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop