"Shopaholic to the Rescue" by Sophie Kinsella

Becky Bloomwood is on her biggest mission yet…and it has nothing to do with shopping.

The last time we saw Becky, her father Graham had disappeared with her best friend’s husband, Tarquin.  All she knows is that they left Los Angeles because Graham was hoping to set right a relationship from the past.  But Becky’s mom, and her best friend Suze, are convinced there is something more sinister happening and that the men are in danger.  Now it’s up to them to track the men down.

And so, an RV carrying Becky, her husband Luke, her daughter Minnie, her mom Jane, her mom’s best friend Janice, Suze, and Becky’s archenemy Alicia is headed to Las Vegas and time is of the essence.

Shopaholic to the Rescue is the 8th novel in the always popular Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.  It is a fun and witty story of adventure and hijinks that only Becky can get herself into.

So let’s start with the obvious, what everyone is saying when it comes to this series.  It does feel like it has been going on a little long.  And the last few books have, dare I say, brought down the series.  What started off as fantastic through the first three novels started to lose its lustre with the next few.  I felt that the last novel, Shopaholic to the Stars, picked up a bit for me.  It had hints of the first novels in it, though I wasn’t impressed with the storyline involving her father….which is what this book is about.  Either way, I felt like I was locked into this series and no matter what I would continue to read the new novels.

For me, this book was the best we’ve seen in the series for a while.  It was a fun read that made me laugh and was even pretty touching at some points.  There were parts of the story that I felt were dragging out a bit (mostly when they went to meet various people from her fathers past) and could have been condensed.  But it was still a quick read, one that can be enjoyed in one sitting.


And I truly felt that with this novel, Becky had finally become a mature, responsible woman.  And for me, that is a good way to end the series.  Is it the end?  No one knows for sure but it should be. If it ended here, I would be so happy with this series and I personally have a feeling that is what may happen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop