"There's More to Life Than Cupcakes" by Poppy Dolan

Ellie Redford has a wonderful life with a lovely husband, job, and home.  Everything is perfect for her but to everyone else she is missing one thing - a baby.  The pressure is coming from everywhere, especially her husband Pete.  And it’s not that she doesn’t want a baby….one day.  

With increased responsibilities at work and a best friend who is firmly set against babies, Ellie isn’t sure if having a baby is a good idea right now.  While she tries to figure things out, through the help of an anonymous blog and field research, she signs up for a baking class.  But she’s not prepared for what comes her way in the form of fellow student, the young, hot Joe.  And when a weekly baking class turns into the opportunity to be on a reality cooking show, her personal life becomes even more muddled than before.  

There’s More to Life Than Cupcakes is a funny, smart, and delicious novel from Poppy Dolan.  It is full of fantastic characters, lots of humours, and should come with a warning that all the talk of baking and food will most likely add a few inches to your waistband!

I read Dolan’s first novel, The Bad Boyfriends Bootcamp last year when she was a self-published author and really enjoyed it.  So I was very excited to see that she had a new novel, and now she is being published by the brand new imprint, Novelicious Books.  I’m so happy for her, as I really love her writing.  

This book really made my week, actually month, okay the last three months.  I was in a reading slump, not finishing any of the books I started, and then this one came along and I was hooked from the front page.  I’m not a baker, nor do I have any hopes or dreams of being one, but this book had me entertaining the notion for more than a moment.  A rom-com with delicious foodie details?  It’s all right here.

Each character in the book played an important role and were genuinely likeable.  Nothing in the book felt extra.  I thought Ellie and her indecision about having a baby would get on my nerves (as someone who couldn’t wait to have kids, I’m a little biased) but she didn’t come across in that way at all.  Yes, there were times I wished I could reach through the pages and shake her, but I think that is needed in every main character in these sorts of books.


Sometimes when I find myself gushing about books like I’m doing now, with nothing bad to say, I wonder if my readers are going to think it’s all a little too perfect, but that is what this book is.  If you’re a fan of chick lit, I highly recommend Poppy Dolan.  She is someone to keep your eye on, as I expect tons more hilarious, romantic novels from her.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher.  All of the opinions expressed above are true and my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop