"Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea" and "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang" by Chelsea Handler


Chelsea Handler is hilarious. I say that as someone who has just recently discovered her. I had heard of her television show but I don't have cable so I had never seen it. I had seen her books all over the place but never picked one up since I didn't know anything about her. But on a whim I thought they might be good summer reading so I picked up two of them - Are you There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.

I am so glad I picked up the books. They are fast paced reads as I couldn't put either of them down, except for when I was laughing so hard, which was often. Each book is a collection of essays about Chelsea's life that are so funny, you'll find yourself thinking they can't possibly true because no one's life can be that crazy.

In Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea? she takes on such topics as going to prison, dating a red-head, dining in the dark, re-gifting, vacationing with her father and getting attacked by fourteen-year-old girls.


In Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang she talks about discovering masturbation at a sleepover when she was eight-years-old, faking the death of a friends dog to play a prank on her boyfriend, attempting to get her driver laid while on vacation and trying to get her parents to buy her a Cabbage Patch doll as a child. This book seems a bit more disjointed and rushed than the first one but Handler still takes you on a crazy ride.

If these stories are true, you'll understand why Chelsea is such a comedienne because you would have to look at things with humour with a life like that. If they aren't true then Chelsea is an incredible storyteller. Either way, she writes hilarious books. Perfect reading for the beach, but be warned, Handler is vulgar and raunchy so think about how much you can tolerate before you decide to read either of these books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop