"Lost Ocean" by Johanna Basford

Working in a bookstore, the most common question I heard at Christmas was "do you sell those adult colouring books?"  I honestly lost count of how many times I answered that question.

Adult colouring books are a trend that has completely taken over and one that, at first, I didn't quite understand.  Until I received a sample of Lost Ocean from Penguin Random House while I was at Word on the Street this past summer.  I brought it home, coloured a few pages, and was hooked. They are fun and relaxing, the perfect thing to do when unwinding at the end of a long day.

Whenever I was asked about colouring books, I always recommended one by Johanna Basford.  Since releasing The Secret Garden a couple of years ago, she has sold over 10 million books.  Her illustrations are absolutely beautiful, incredibly intricate, and very enjoyable. Here are two pictures I have coloured so far:


I started with two easier pictures but there are so many pages that are completely filled with intricate designs.  What I love about these colouring books is that there is so much to colour, you will spend so much time with them.  Each of the above pictures took me a few hours to colour.  As I tell people, you definitely get your money's worth with them.  And I love the thick paper that is used, this is definitely a high quality book.

If you are a non-creative person like I am, you'll enjoy this colouring book because it will make you feel like an artist.  If you are a creative person, you will have a lot of fun with all of the possibilities these beautiful pictures present.  

If you haven't jumped on the adult colouring bandwagon yet, I highly recommend you do and start with Lost Ocean.  Lose yourself in the fish, dolphins, mermaids, crabs, jellyfish, seahorses, and the beautiful flora.  Just keep a pencil sharpener close by, you'll definitely be wanting to make sure your pencil crayons are perfectly sharpened.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of Penguin Random House of Canada. The opinions expressed above are my own.

Comments

  1. I like your coloring! I'm just starting. Finished my 1st in MYSTICAL MANDALAS. Received LOST OCEAN for Christmas & almost finished the dolphin. Good suggestion about the pencil sharpener. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop