Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Authors I've Only Read One Book From But NEED to Read More

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

In the past I have always been the type of reader that finds a select group of writers they like and just reads everything that person writes.  But since I began blogging four years ago I have opened myself up to many, many new authors.  But that means that there are lot of authors who I end up reading one book by and though I really want to read more of their books, I never get around to it.  So this was a pretty easy list for me to put together.  I have divided it into two categories: Canadian authors and Chick Lit authors.

Canadian Authors

Joseph Boyden: I thoroughly enjoyed The Orenda, it is such a fantastic historical novel that truly captures the beginnings of our country and I know that Boyden is a strong voice for First Nations history and culture so I really want to read more of his books.  I also saw him speak at the Toronto Word on the Street and he is a fantastic, funny speaker.

Nalo Hopkinson: I first learned about Nalo Hopkinson after I started blogging and I read The Chaos.  There was so much I loved about it - speculative fiction (something I'm new to), Canadian, diverse, Caribbean folklore - that I need to read more of her work and unique voice.

Terry Fallis: There is something unique about Canadian humour and Terry Fallis captures it perfectly.  I loved Up and Down and enjoyed the mini-series of The Best Laid Plans so I definitely want to read everything he has written and will write.

Austin Clarke:  I love Canadian writers and I love Caribbean writers so when you combine the two I am very happy.  Clarke is such an acclaimed writer, I think all Canadians should be reading everything he has written.

Linwood Barclay: For years I read Barclay's humour column in the Toronto Star and I was so disappointed when he retired the column.  But then I found out that he would be writing books, and mystery/thrillers!  I have read one and it was spine-chillingly good so I really need to read the rest of his books.  

Chick Lit Authors
Chick lit is the one genre where I tend to read the same authors over and over again.  This past year I started branching out and trying new authors and now there are more that I need to read everything they have written.

Alexandra Potter: Loved, loved, loved The Love Detective.  A gorgeous, romantic trip through India, it was lovely.  I can't wait to read more of her work.

Belinda Jones: I only recently discovered Belinda Jones with The Travelling Tea Shop.  I love Chick Lit novels that travel the world and all of her books do that so I definitely have to read them.

Rosie Blake: How to Get a (Love) Life is a fantastic novel and I must read everything Rosie Blake writes.  I just need her to write them!

Miranda Dickinson: For a while now I've seen her name and books around and yet I only recently picked up When I Fall in Love and now I'm wondering why I waited so long.

Milly Johnson:  So far I have read Here Come the Girls but I also have White Wedding on my shelf.  Milly Johnson has written a number of books that all sound fantastic and have the most beautiful covers and she is now officially one of the authors I will always take with me on vacation!  

1 comment:

  1. One interesting thing about Linwood Barclay is that he is huge in the UK. Like, massive. He walks down the street and gets recognized. I've read quite a few of his books and liked them even though thrillers aren't really my thing.

    ReplyDelete